Skip to main content

Nada Dada

Last week I raced to finish the snail painting in time for Nada Dada's Naughty Show. I finished it just in time and we hung it in the back studios of Oxbow Press. The front gallery had the "Naughty, Taboo and Just Plain Wrong" print exchange displayed. The weekend saw a large number of visitors to the show and I enjoyed seeing the reaction to my painting. I am still debating whether or not to add the photo of my final picture to this blog as it is VERY naughty!
http://www.nevadamagazine.com/index.php/events-and-shows/details/nadadada_motel/
 http://nytimesagency.com/preview/NTA2009062172208

I wanted to make a painting that was completely unexpected from people that don't know me and judge me by my outward appearance. Most people I imagine, see me as a housewife and mother over an artist. I wanted to make something that would fit both the critera of the show and to induce a reaction from the viewer. I would like to think that I covered both of these and I had a great deal of fun observing the reactions of those that came by the show this weekend. There were those that were initially shocked, then amused by the painting, others burst out laughing and my favourite; the ones that could not bear to look and siddled by either offended or just plain uncomfortable. It is nice to know that I can still make a controversial art piece!

I was unexpectedly interviewed during the show, by someone documenting Nada Dada 2010. True to form, I was lost for words and stage struck. I still can't remember what garbage poured out my mouth, but hopefully I can come back after this. Just goes to show that no matter how "in your face" my work can be, I am still an introvert when faced with an audience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Encaustic Monoprint Technique

Today I visited a printmaking friend's studio. Amy is experimenting with encaustic monoprints. I have never heard of this before so I was excited to have a demo. Here is the basic process: 1. Heat up the homemade heat box. 2. Rub the beeswax pigment sticks on the metal surface of the heat plate to melt them. Create a design on the plate with one or more colors. Step 3. Lay a piece of rice or rag paper face down on the painted design and cover with newsprint. Burnish. Step 4. Carefully pull the paper away from the heat plate. Steps 5-6. Clean the heat plate with paper towels. Add more color to the heat plate and repeat the process to add patterns or more color to the print. The smell of the wax is yummy and the pigments are really thick and rich to work with. I had a little play to get a feel for what the print is like (image below). Now I want to build a heat box and play!!

Peacock Paintings/prints

I'm working on the peacock paintings at the moment and some relief prints. I am slowly filling in the shapes and colors of the paintings, starting from the top and working down with each color. I'm grouping them with my 8 color reduction cut relief print. Also a feather linocut and painting, both in their early stages. The linocuts below are variation experiments based on the imagery above. It still feels like I am a long way to completion, but hopefully they will pull together fast at the detail stage.

DeMeng Workshop

We made crazy vehicles in Michael DeMeng's workshop. Here are a selection of some of the works in progress: Here we had a critique with Michael discussing everyone's progress. I loved this steampunked up critter! This is the cool studio by the harbor that we worked in for four days, pretty cool view! Later in the day we had a project with Tracy and Teesha Moore with a bunch of artists from different workshops.