Skip to main content

Tentacles

Day 2 (do I even have to write the day? I am so going to get muddled in double numbers!)
Well here we go, I made something sea like in an abstract manner (watercolour and digital- Tradigital painting) and I'm proud of following up for a second day running:




My paintings are currently underwater themed inspired not from a snorkeling trip, but from visiting the Dale Chihuly Museum in Seattle last summer! This is not the first time that I have made work with an underwater theme, but it is the first for at least 15 years. In the past I had an Atlantis collection which spanned printmaking, painting and ceramic sculpture.











Seeing the Chihuly exhibition combined with a trip to Alaska that was filled with whale watching and Northern Lights, I started formulating mental images and colors for new experiments. The images are based less on nature's own subtle ocean colors and more on the colors found in glass such as Chihuly's and the incredible Aurora Borealis that I witnessed for the first time this July.







I think that by manipulating watercolour painting digitally, I may get that colour intensity that I am looking for. I am hoping to label myself a "Tradigital" artist for this work. Tradigital painting is where a digital image is produced from a traditional art source such as watercolour or oils, then manipulated on photoshop or other programmes to become a new original image. I am not really sure what will appear until the brush is out, but it will be fun to find out.

Comments

  1. Incredible displays of Imagery and Color!
    I think if you can reproduce this color intensity thru digital manipulation... combined with your use of Collorgraph Overlay and the use of Water Ripples or Fractural Patterns, the result will be nothing less than Spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for having read forward about my intentions to collograph. I am not sure if this will work out or not, but it is certainly worth experimenting with. As I said, that will probably be later in the year. Thank you for your comments:-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Peacock Paintings/prints

I'm working on the peacock paintings at the moment and some relief prints. I am slowly filling in the shapes and colors of the paintings, starting from the top and working down with each color. I'm grouping them with my 8 color reduction cut relief print. Also a feather linocut and painting, both in their early stages. The linocuts below are variation experiments based on the imagery above. It still feels like I am a long way to completion, but hopefully they will pull together fast at the detail stage.

Encaustic Monoprint Technique

Today I visited a printmaking friend's studio. Amy is experimenting with encaustic monoprints. I have never heard of this before so I was excited to have a demo. Here is the basic process: 1. Heat up the homemade heat box. 2. Rub the beeswax pigment sticks on the metal surface of the heat plate to melt them. Create a design on the plate with one or more colors. Step 3. Lay a piece of rice or rag paper face down on the painted design and cover with newsprint. Burnish. Step 4. Carefully pull the paper away from the heat plate. Steps 5-6. Clean the heat plate with paper towels. Add more color to the heat plate and repeat the process to add patterns or more color to the print. The smell of the wax is yummy and the pigments are really thick and rich to work with. I had a little play to get a feel for what the print is like (image below). Now I want to build a heat box and play!!

DeMeng Workshop

We made crazy vehicles in Michael DeMeng's workshop. Here are a selection of some of the works in progress: Here we had a critique with Michael discussing everyone's progress. I loved this steampunked up critter! This is the cool studio by the harbor that we worked in for four days, pretty cool view! Later in the day we had a project with Tracy and Teesha Moore with a bunch of artists from different workshops.