Skip to main content

Didn't I say blog visitors inspire my work?

I have said it before and I will say it again, that little Revolver map is awesome!

Seeing all the little flags of visitors from all over the world is beyond cool, it is inspiring to me. As I work on the collection of prints involving Lady Penelope Pinkerton-Smythe, I think about all the places she may have visited. The little flags on the blog map have me daydreaming of her travels.

I am going to tie the thread of the prints to the book Around The World In Eighty Days by Jules Verne. The prints I have completed (and still working on) are named from phrases or chapter headings from that book. The main character of my work is of course Lady Penelope and not Phileas Fogg! I am having fun playing on the titles or using some of references from the book. Each print stands alone as having some significance to a part of my life or an experience of my travels, but strung together, they carry the narrative of the lighthearted, fast-moving journey of Lady Penelope. Like Fogg, the journey takes her from London to many places including Reno.

As I personally have only made the London to Reno part of the journey, I am not completely sure what route she will take back, or if she will leave the trail that Fogg took, to go somewhere different. There may even be some time travel involved as I pull memories from my past or have dreams of the future.

Looking at that blog map, I have tied the prints to Paris, London, Sri Lanka and Carson Valley so far. Once I have completed the series I will put them into some kind of order. For now I am taking the images and working on them in no particular order, as and when they come to me. I keep looking at that 6300+ flag from Thessaloniki and I'm thinking I must have her visit soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Encaustic Monoprint Technique

Today I visited a printmaking friend's studio. Amy is experimenting with encaustic monoprints. I have never heard of this before so I was excited to have a demo. Here is the basic process: 1. Heat up the homemade heat box. 2. Rub the beeswax pigment sticks on the metal surface of the heat plate to melt them. Create a design on the plate with one or more colors. Step 3. Lay a piece of rice or rag paper face down on the painted design and cover with newsprint. Burnish. Step 4. Carefully pull the paper away from the heat plate. Steps 5-6. Clean the heat plate with paper towels. Add more color to the heat plate and repeat the process to add patterns or more color to the print. The smell of the wax is yummy and the pigments are really thick and rich to work with. I had a little play to get a feel for what the print is like (image below). Now I want to build a heat box and play!!

Peacock Paintings/prints

I'm working on the peacock paintings at the moment and some relief prints. I am slowly filling in the shapes and colors of the paintings, starting from the top and working down with each color. I'm grouping them with my 8 color reduction cut relief print. Also a feather linocut and painting, both in their early stages. The linocuts below are variation experiments based on the imagery above. It still feels like I am a long way to completion, but hopefully they will pull together fast at the detail stage.

DeMeng Workshop

We made crazy vehicles in Michael DeMeng's workshop. Here are a selection of some of the works in progress: Here we had a critique with Michael discussing everyone's progress. I loved this steampunked up critter! This is the cool studio by the harbor that we worked in for four days, pretty cool view! Later in the day we had a project with Tracy and Teesha Moore with a bunch of artists from different workshops.