Skip to main content

Cold Wax Encaustic Technique.

I stayed overnight at my studio Saturday night and used the time to see if I could make something interesting with an encaustic painting.

I used a cold wax process, to see if I could do something that had a little form than I have done before. I have often experimented with textures in the hot wax method, both painting and monoprinting, but I never managed to really hold anything with a semblance of reality.

Firstly, I collaged some sandpaper roughly onto a panel. I then added in a basic underpainting with Ultramarine Blue, Colbolt Green and Sanguine oil paint mixed with Liquin to make a permanent base.

I layered an image of shoes and a patterned background with a brush, then with a palette knife I both added and removed the paint mix. The wax is pretty thick, so fine detail is not possible, but there is far more control than if the hot wax method is used.

Once the paint is dry, the "encaustic" part comes in. I needed to melt the wax in order for it to become a true encaustic painting, so I used my telescopic desk lamp with a 100 watt bulb (I'm not sure how much longer I can get hold of 100 watt bulbs, they seem to be a thing of the past!) in it. This was an incredibly slow process and I could not hold the lamp in one place too long, just long enough to burn the painting in.

I let the image cool for the rest of the day, then just before heading home today, I buffed it up with a soft cloth.

The image is "relatively" realistic. The medium does not allow for realism in the traditional sense, due to it's thickness and unpredictability under the heat source. This process is much easier to control in contrast to the hot wax method though. The patterned background was pretty much lost, along with much of the shoe detail, but I think the image can just about be made out as a pair of shoes.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Encaustic Monoprint Technique

Today I visited a printmaking friend's studio. Amy is experimenting with encaustic monoprints. I have never heard of this before so I was excited to have a demo. Here is the basic process: 1. Heat up the homemade heat box. 2. Rub the beeswax pigment sticks on the metal surface of the heat plate to melt them. Create a design on the plate with one or more colors. Step 3. Lay a piece of rice or rag paper face down on the painted design and cover with newsprint. Burnish. Step 4. Carefully pull the paper away from the heat plate. Steps 5-6. Clean the heat plate with paper towels. Add more color to the heat plate and repeat the process to add patterns or more color to the print. The smell of the wax is yummy and the pigments are really thick and rich to work with. I had a little play to get a feel for what the print is like (image below). Now I want to build a heat box and play!!

Peacock Paintings/prints

I'm working on the peacock paintings at the moment and some relief prints. I am slowly filling in the shapes and colors of the paintings, starting from the top and working down with each color. I'm grouping them with my 8 color reduction cut relief print. Also a feather linocut and painting, both in their early stages. The linocuts below are variation experiments based on the imagery above. It still feels like I am a long way to completion, but hopefully they will pull together fast at the detail stage.

DeMeng Workshop

We made crazy vehicles in Michael DeMeng's workshop. Here are a selection of some of the works in progress: Here we had a critique with Michael discussing everyone's progress. I loved this steampunked up critter! This is the cool studio by the harbor that we worked in for four days, pretty cool view! Later in the day we had a project with Tracy and Teesha Moore with a bunch of artists from different workshops.